Friday, April 3, 2015

Self Control

Reminder:  Please don't use the commands "Get, Hold, or Give". These are Advanced Training commands.  Puppy raisers that introduce these commands can cause stress and confusion on the dogs when the enter training.  The formal retrieve is taught systematically.  If these commands are taught differently it causes stress on the dog.

When you need to take something from the dogs mouth, you can just take the item or you can tell the dog drop.

Puppy Raising Challenge and Tip: " I think I can, I think I can, I think I can….."

Self control is extremely important for an assistance dog. Teaching the puppy self control around food and toys helps the dog be successful. Practice, Practice, Practice. Self control does not come easy for some dogs. The more you practice, reinforce appropriate behavior, and correct undesirable behavior, the more reliable and consistent the puppy will become. Puppy raisers have a direct influence on reinforcing and teaching self control. A puppy that is allowed to make its own decisions or break commands will have difficulty when in Advanced Training. Puppy raisers keep your high expectations and again practice, practice, practice.


Happy Training,

Suzanne Sliclen
Puppy Program Manager